Five graphics upgrades for existing games and apps on Quest 3 released just before Christmas. Here’s an overview, in case you missed some.
Since the headset’s release in October, many titles have received graphics upgrades on Quest 3, which uses a new chipset that is more than twice as powerful as the one in Quest 2.
Here’s a list of recently released graphics upgrades.
Asgard’s Wrath 2
The VR RPG Asgard’s Wrath 2 is currently included with every new Quest 3, but was released without being optimized for the device.
A first patch brought a higher resolution and frame rate to Quest 3 about a week after its release. Both improvements can be toggled off.
Further visual enhancements may follow in 2024, said Sanzaru Games.
The best VR travel app has received an update that increases resolution by 35 percent, making the destinations appear much sharper. A frame rate increase from 72 to 90Hz was already included in a previous update.
The team also reduced the latency of the AI travel guide by 80 percent, which means it should answer your questions much faster.
Brink Traveler is regularly updated and expanded with new destinations and features. It currently features 28 international attractions. Thanks to the multiplayer feature, you can also visit them together.
You can find the app in the Meta Quest Store.
In Death: Unchained
The classical bow-and-arrow roguelite received the following graphical improvements on Quest 3:
- Display resolution improved by around 30%
- Added high refresh rate support (90Hz)
- Improved stained glass windows now provide ambient lighting inside buildings
- Added more complex reflective surfaces allowing for more realistic visuals
- Enemies are finally casting shadows!
- Brand new, intricate floor patterns and high quality materials
- Other technical improvements
The Purgatory is the first chapter to be graphically enhanced. Superbright will announce more upcoming updates in 2024.
You can find Death: Unchained in the Meta Quest Store.
Journey to Foundation
The graphics upgrade for the sci-fi adventure game brings the following to the Quest 3 version:
- Improved texture resolution across the game
- Updates to a large amount of materials, including using full transparency instead of dithering
- Upgraded visual effects (VFX) for fire, smoke, and steam across all levels
- Fog and lightshafts in supported environments
- Increased lighting quality & resolution
The following video illustrates the visual differences. More videos about the visual enhancements can be found on the game’s blog.
Journey to Foundation is available in the Meta Quest Store.
Real VR Fishing
Real VR Fishing was already a graphic marvel on Quest 2. The Quest 3 version goes one better visually. Here’s what’s new according to the studio:
- 90 FPS frames are now supported on Quest 3 devices.
- If you set your graphics settings to “High” in the in-game settings, you’ll be able to play Real VR Fishing at 1.5x higher quality than before.
You can find Real VR Fishing in the Meta Quest Store.
Buy Quest 3, Accessories & Prescription Lenses